Sunday, October 11, 2009

My Perception of America and American Studies


I have just started my American studies course and I don’t know much about America. However, one thing that I have realized is that it’s not so easy to find out what America is like once you are seeing it from outside. Of course, it is not possible to get to know much about any country once you are not within its society. However, regarding America some people try to describe it simply by giving their opining which is based on the information that they get from mass media. This is something I do not like to do and it’s one of the reasons why I have chosen to continue my education in the field of American Studies.


Now, at the very beginning of my course, I can’t picture America as it really is but what is interesting to me about American society is how different ethnic groups have formed a ‘supposed union’ there. I don’t know to what extent people are united there and what it is like to be an American. I see America as a country which has been able to make advancements in different fields over a short period of time and I would like to find out how they managed to do so. I hope that the course of American studies gives me an insight into the American society and I hope to find out the answer for “why America came to be what it is today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment